Mid-2010 MBP freezing with Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by RRmalvado, Aug 10, 2011.

1. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

I like Lion and all of my peripherals are working fine (NAS, 3rd party mouse, etc) however I am getting constant freezing/beach balls at (I've waited up to 20 minutes to see if after freezing/beach balling it comes back to normal to no avail):

1. The Login screen - if I do not immediately login I get a constant beach ball and have to power down and back up.

2. Using any browser - this is with and without Flash installed. Must power down.

3. Working with iTunes - you name it (creating playlists, listening to music, editing metadata, etc). Must power down.

4. App Store - browsing and/or downloading.

When this freezing occurs I have to power down and power it back up.

Anyone experiencing similar symptoms? Any ideas on how I can get this resolved?

Thanks.

2. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I also have a mid 2010 MBP and have experienced the same problems, not so much on my MBA 2010 11" which was installed via the upgrade path.

On the MBP, the issues were PARTIALLY remedied when I did a clean install of Lion. I still get the spinning beach ball when I login almost everytime I go back to OSX from Bootcamp. I think it might be a heat issue and it doesn't happen when I let the notebook cool down for a bit (never had this problem is SNow Leopard).

Itunes LAGS and at first I thought it was my NAS drive but it still lags even when connected straight to the drive via USB. No problem on my MBA, and also never had this problem when the MBP had Snow.

Safari gets spinning beach balls in Lion, but I have no issues using Chrome and this is on both of my Macs.

I'm thinking a majority of the issues are from those who upgrade from Snow to Lion on the 15 MBP 2010. Also Lion generally runs hotter for some reason which adds more heat and it causes the crashing and spinning beach balls.

I'm going to keep Lion on the Air and switch back to Snow on the MBP tonight. It's not worth the daily hassle of rebooting and risk in having the system freeze in the middle of doing important work.

3. RRmalvado thread starter macrumors 6502

I originally did the upgrade install because I didn't want to be bothered but after these issues came in I cleaned install and I still experience the same issues.

I have even re-downloaded Lion from the App Store.

4. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

The nvidia 330m drivers in lion are corrupt causing kernel panics (NVDA errors in the logfile at the time of the freeze). There are a few workarounds, like installing the nvidia CUDA driver.

i temporarily fixed my 2010 15" i5 mbp from freezing all the time by installing gfxcardstatus and setting it to IGP only.

Now it only freezes sometimes when i do not log in fast enough and it kernel panics at the login screen before gfxcardstatus loads, for some reason the mbp boots using the nvidia card.

I'm hoping 10.7.1 will have a new non corrupt nvidia driver.