Mid 2010 MBP Graphics Glitches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sevoneone, Sep 18, 2013.

1. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Has anyone with a mid-2010 MBP experienced problems like in my attached screenshot? I started seeing this happen randomly, usually while web browsing, maybe once or twice a week. The problem seems to be happening more often, and I'm noticing the entire system is running much slower lately while running photoshop and other apps. It also seems to only happen when the nVidia graphics are engaged.

Specifics: Mid-2010 MBP 15" i5-2.4GHz, 120GB Aftermarket SSD, 8GB RAM, 256MB VRAM

[​IMG]

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

there is a knowledge base article for this issue on the 15" 2010 macbook pros take it into the genius bar, if the program is still on then they will replace your logic board. This a gpu issue as you face no issues running the inbuilt one.

3. sevoneone thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you happen to know the knowledge base article? I'm having difficulty finding it? I don't see anything on Apple's Repair Extension program site, nor do I recall ever hearing about such a program for the mid-2010 model.

4. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Yup. My 2010 MPB17 had some flaky GPU glitches from day one--I think mostly attributable to dynamic GPU switching. It was especially prone to this at colder temperatures for some reason, and seemed to happen most often while using Safari. It always stopped after a minute or two, or if I switched it into nVidia-only mode. (Might have been a different bug to the one the OP is experiencing, actually.)

For what it's worth, I had the logic board replaced just before the 3-year AppleCare ran out, and the new board did exactly the same thing.

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

i wonder how apple or nvidia not improve from their 2008 macbook pro issues.