mid 2010 MBP Hard drive/cable problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drumguy1975, Aug 24, 2013.

1. drumguy1975 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I've got a problem that has flummoxed me that I could use some advice on.

My wife's mid-2010 MacBookPro was doing fine up until about a week ago, when she upgraded to the most recent 10.8.4? OS. She had had no problems with the computer up until that point. After she installed the new software though, she started having problems.

Once the new software was installed, she restarted it, the machine kept freezing and she would have to continually restart until finally it would just get stuck on the initial apple logo screen, with the spinning indicator. This made me think it was a software issue.

I then booted from our external backup drive and it recognized the hard drive and I was able to copy some info just in case, but when we tried to reinstall the original Mountain Lion, it would not recognize the hard drive after repeated attempts, including copying to a USB drive. So by that time, I thought it was the hard drive, so I ordered another one.

The new HD comes in, I install it and try to do a software install from the USB drive with no luck. The same problem of the MBP not recognizing the new hard drive persists. I decided to put the original HD into my father in law's external enclosure and hook it up via USB and it does boot from that, which I would conclude that it isn't the hard drive.

Now, after putting our heads together, my father in law and I think that it may be the SATA cable that has gone bad.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas or does this sound familiar? I can pick up a new SATA cable pretty cheap and I think that I can install it (it doesn't look horrible to do), but I'm already taking a loss on the hard drive and I'd prefer to get some advice on trying to diagnose the problem before I sink any more money into it.

Thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's a custom cable and I've had one fail on a friends 2010 MBP. Apple won't sell you one but will replace it for $65

3. drumguy1975 thread starter macrumors member

When you say custom cable, you're not talking about the SATA cable?

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I've heard of people replacing their own SATA cables before. Personally I've had Apple and an Apple authorized service place replace a couple of SATA cables. They burn out at the most random times :p

The original hard drive is probably still good. Replacing the cable should be able to boot it properly.