Mid-2010 MBP: Heat/Fans with Flash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by k6578, Jun 23, 2012.

1. k6578 macrumors member

My MBP mid-2010 heats up and the fans almost immediately kick in whenever I watch YouTube videos especially 720p or 1080p. It doesn't take long before the fan goes up to 5000rpm or more which can be quite distracting along with the heat on the left side of the laptop.

I've had my MBP for 1.8 years and I've noticed this heat/fan problem get more serious in the recent months.

Processor 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, I'm running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

Are there any ways to fix this?

Downloaded videos .avi or .mkv on VLC work fine without heating up the machine too much. Other than that, my MBP works well still.

2. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

Yeah, Flash is getting really annoying! Heats up my mbp 2011 too just like yours.
    Watched a youtube vid of rMBP fan noise the only thing I could hear was mine :(

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.

4. k6578 thread starter macrumors member

Bringing my thread back up because I have another question... does anyone know if upgrading to Mountain Lion when it releases will improve the heat/fan problem?