Mid-2010 MBP memory installation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lostinheadguy, Oct 1, 2015.

1. lostinheadguy macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I've been going around some support forums and communities, and I thought that I'd bring it up here in case anyone is well-versed. I have a mid-2010 with the Core i5, 4GB of RAM.

Recently I've been having kernel panics, unexpected shutdowns, and to top it off the 3-short, 3-long, 3-short SOS tone with the computer refusing to boot. I took it to the nearest Apple Store and the Genius bar, and they told me that the bottom slot that holds one of the sticks of RAM in place has become loose, which would likely explain the situation as if one of the sticks of memory even pops out a little bit the whole computer shuts itself down (right?). The cheapest way to repair it would be to replace the logic board through a depot repair. However, I was informed that the top slot is still working correctly.

I've already had the logic board replaced once for video issues, that was over a year ago. So, I was wondering, is it possible to install RAM in the top slot and leave the bottom slot empty? I opened up my computer myself and it appears that the top stick of RAM won't sit properly and won't make contact unless there's a stick installed in the bottom as well. When attempting to run the computer using only one of the original 2GB sticks (either stick) in the top slot with nothing in the bottom, I get the single tone every five seconds, which indicates that no RAM is installed.

Can anyone tell me if I'm able to do this or not? Or did I screw something up?

I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses, rip out the internal hard disk and put it in an enclosure, and buy a new Macbook Pro - as it seems like it has turned into a nickel-and-dime situation at this point. Other than the RAM slot, the logic board passed all other tests, I'm still running on the original battery, and both the optical and hard drives are working properly. But, I really want to consider all options before going for it.

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It should be possible to install RAM in one slot only, the computer doesn't differentiate between slots. If it isn't working in either slot then they a both dead by the sounds of it.

3. lostinheadguy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's just a really weird situation all around. I wish I could take some photos now, but it definitely looked like the RAM in the top slot was in much closer contact with the board when there was another stick hooked into the bottom compared to when it was put in on its own.