Mid 2010 MBP options for VST issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caldy315, Feb 13, 2015.

1. caldy315 macrumors member

Just wondering if the only options are to either buy a new logic board or apply the patch that doesn't use the Nvidia GPU? Mid 2010 MBP 15" 2.4 GHz. I've done my fair share of taking things apart and replacing items, but wondering where one can get a decent priced logic board and if that even guarantees immunity from the same problem happening again?

Thanks

2. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

Unfortunately, all logic boards for that model were built from the same design. There are boards where the fault has occurred, and there are boards where the fault hasn't occurred "yet".

Apple's repair strategy involved replacing the boards over and over until the machines got so old they were no longer eligible for service - some users who suffered through the process multiple times with the one system received the next model of Macbook as a "final solution", but it's far too late for such a request now.

Simply put, you may as well go with the workaround.

3. robertsawicki macrumors member

robertsawicki

I've had the same problem with my Mid 2010 MBP. Apple offered free replacement for this issue but it has expired two years ago. I'm going to the Apple store on Sunday just to see if they could do it for free, because I have had some luck with them when I brought in my iPad Mini and iPhone and had issues w/o warranty.

4. caldy315 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. How would I know when the GPU that causes this is in use? Trying to understand what this affects. eBay logic boards are like another $250 which isn't bad if you know it won't fail but that's a big $ guess

5. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

If the system is kernel panicking, then looking up the crash logs should provide some insight as to why.

You're looking for terms such as "IOGraphicsFamily". Anything that mentions the display or the card.