Mid-2010 MBP question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onmi, Jun 6, 2012.

1. onmi, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

onmi macrumors newbie

Hey all, I did a GeekBench run and got this for my stock model i5 2.4ghz 4GB ram 15" Mid-2010 MBP (64-bit setting).

Geekbench Score -- 5736
    Integer Processor -- integer performance -- 4793
    Floating Point -- Processor floating point performance -- 8116
    Memory -- Memory performance -- 4057
    Stream -- Memory bandwidth performance -- 4067

I was thinking of buying a new refresh Mac Mini but now my budget has changed and I can't go that route. Now the option is to add a 120 GB SSD and another 4 GB of DDR3 1067 Mhz Ram.

I found a 120 GB and 8GB ram upgrade for about 2120 with tax and shipping. Worth it or not?:eek:

EDIT: I'd also like to know what the bottleneck of this laptop would be? I'm thinking the processor since it's only dual core?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

An SSD would definitely make a very noticeable difference on that machine and it a very nice upgrade.

The extra memory... maybe. Restart your computer and use it all day then look in the system memory section of Activity Monitor to see if you are getting page outs and swap file activity (bottom of the screen). If you are seeing no page outs or swap activity you probably have sufficient memory and adding more would not make a noticeable difference.

3. emacna1 macrumors regular

2120 what?

You can get a Crucial M4 128GB SSD on Amazon for about $122.

You can get Crucial RAM (4GB x 2) for around $45.

4. onmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, thats a typo. I meant to say $210. Also, that hard drive you linked is 6Gb/s. I dont think my macbook can utilize 6Gb/s, only 3Gb/s. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

This is the site where I'm getting my prices/info.
    http://www.macsales.com/

5. emacna1 macrumors regular

Our MBPs cannot utilize the 6Gb/s, but we can still use them. They'll just only be 3GB/s.

6. onmi thread starter macrumors newbie

I getcha.

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I'll just spend a little more and get the 6Gb/s SSD and 8 GB ram.:D

7. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a