Mid-2010 MBP really slowing down

Discussion in 'macOS' started by solidaj, Mar 9, 2013.

1. solidaj macrumors newbie

I've never been a "power user" and until 2011 always worked in environments with Window's based PCs. Luckily I've made the move and my world is full of apples...MBP, iPhone, iPad, and I'm happy.

I'm a writer and user of Photoshop and other Adobe memory intensive software, so I purchased my macbook with an i7 chip and 8gigs of Ram. I upgraded the OS to OSX when it came out a while back.

Lately, response rate is not so good. Sitting and waiting while a rainbow wheel spins is not my idea of what a $3000 laptop should be doing.

It has been suggested to use Onyx and/or Clamx or other types of software to clean up my machine which I have, but not being that heavy of a user, I doubt it had much to do. And still, I'm having problems

So, to the world of Mac experts and veterans out there - what do you suggest?

thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

Open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and report back.

Some 2010 MBPs are reported to support up to 16 GB of RAM, take a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find threads about that.

Maybe also think about investing in an SSD, 256 GB can be had for 150 USD nowadays.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

As for the price, it has nothing to do with its performance, if you are hitting its limits, and as you said, you use RAM intensive Adobe apps, and 8 GB might not cut it, especially with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (the current and latest version), as they are prone to some memory leaks.

Onyx is for executing scripts and steps already present in the OS, I haven't used it in five years or so and still fare fine. But it is still the better one of the alternative applications like MacKeeper or CleanMyMac.

Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:

As for ClamXAV, it is an Anti Virus scanner or malware protection application and will not improve your Mac either.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

For tweaking performance:
    If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.

3. solidaj thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you so much

from activity monitor - PAGE OUTS 0, SWAPS USED 0

i got rid of onyx and clams etc - i had read as well that in mountain lion such things were not necessary but after decades of fixing and cleaning windows machines it's a hard habit to break

great idea about the SSD - found instructions on how to swap out optical drive for a SSD - looks somewhat feasible

unfortunately for a mid-2010 MacbookPro already at 8gigs of RAM - I've hit the ceiling

i've thought about a souped up mac mini and nice monitor for my adobe work and macbook air for on the go traveling/writing - if of course i could get a decent price for this one - using my ipad as a laptop replacement for writing just hasn't worked for me personally - even with a bluetooth keyboard - and I doubt putting the money into a BRYDGE+ keyboard case would help since i still am not real happy with touch screen only editing of docs on iPad

thanks for help and any ideas always welcome