Mid 2010 MBP startup time question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davemc67, Mar 24, 2013.

1. davemc67 macrumors newbie

I've been experiencing slow startup speed of my mid 2010 15" MBP
    It has the 2.53ghz i5 processor with 4gb ram. 512gb HDD (185gb free space)

It was taking about 2minutes to boot up, visited the Genius Bar and they ran diagnostics which found no fault , was advised to boot to recovery partition and erase disk and clean install Mountain Lion, then restore only personal files and applications but not any of the system files.

It now starts up in 1min 25secs. ... Is this the normal startup time for this model or do I need to take it back to the Genius Bar ( it's still under AppleCare until November)

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

When you talk about booting time, are you referring to the amount of time it takes for the initial Apple logo to disappear or the time it takes for your account to be fully loaded? If you're talking about getting past the Apple logo, that seems like a long time. Having a CD/DVD in the drive or having external drives plugged in and powered on can extend the bootup time, but that still seems pretty lengthy.

3. davemc67 thread starter macrumors newbie

The time from the startup chime. To the desktop being fully loaded to the point where an application can be loaded. There is no cd in the drive or external drives connected

Was thinking of getting an ssd but while the MBP is still under AppleCare I want to get his sorted.

That was the main reason for asking about general startup times for the mid 2010 MBP

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

In this case, it really depends on what programs you have that are loading at startup. I have a SSD but I also have a good number of programs that load at launch, particularly if I've rebooted with the "reopen all programs" option checked, and it still takes about one minute for the computer to go from the loading chime to a state where everything has finished loading. If you're still using the stock 5400 RPM drive that came with your computer then those times seem normal.

5. davemc67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it's still the same stock 5400rpm drive , the only thing I load at startup is echofon ... A twitter client, disabling this makes no difference to startup time

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

This may do nothing, but try an SMC reset. Look it up on the Apple website by typing in "SMC reset" on google. It helps with computer responsiveness and power. Let me know if that helps at all!

7. davemc67 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's helped it's dropped the startup time down to just over a minutes, (1 min 2 secs)

Going to try it for a while and see how it goes before spending £280 on an ssd