Mid-2010 MBP to 2015 MB??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waynewayne, Jun 10, 2016.

1. waynewayne macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I currently have a 13" mid-2010 MBP - was base spec, but upgraded last year with a 250GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

Power wise it runs everything I need (mainly browsing, some basic Photoshop work, web design, plays videos etc.) but I find myself feeling the screen isn't big enough.

Would a Macbook with the retina screen be a good replacement? Or would it be best to go for a MBP, possibly a 15"? Obviously the cost difference is huge.

Thanks
    Wayne

2. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Hallo Wayne
    I personally love the retina screen. Currently i am using a 13" MBP due to my own 15" rMBP went belly up...
    I will not say that I hate every moment i spend with this screen, but you definitely feel the difference.
    The extra screen space you get on the retina, especially with scaling is just fantastics.
    But how ever, since you do not seams to need a new MBP asap you should wait and see what happens after the rMBP redesign. It might be that you will be able to find a great discount on the 15" rMBP

3. waynewayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi - thanks for the reply. I agree the screen is a huge improvement! I'm definitely not moving on this in a rush, but just putting feelers out now.

What is your view on Retina MBP vs Retina Macbook? I'm starting to wonder - assuming the screen is good enough - if a Macbook would be sufficient for my needs at a huge saving?

4. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Hmm i have not personally had any experience with the rMB. But from what i have heard you can do browsing and play videos without trouble. Depending on how basic your photoshop work is and how much you do web design i could see the machine getting into a little bit of trouble. But as i said i have no personal experience with it.
    I think the guys at the Macbook forum would be a lot of help with that question, especially if you go a little more into details about what you do

5. waynewayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info - similar post over there now :)

Slightly different question - would a base 13" rMBP be a decent upgrade to what I have? Again useable pixels are what I'm after but would prefer not to drop performance.

rMBP and rMB are quite closely priced and with portability not a priority maybe I should consider the rMBP.

Is 16GB RAM worth an additional £160?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep if you want to keep good performance and ports and the same size screen the rMBP is the way to go, 16gb of ram only any use if you actually use it, for general use 8gb is more than enough.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

If you're not in a rush, I'd suggest you wait until the new MBPro's are announced.

They'll probably represent a major re-design, and may be a more desirable "leap" from a 2010 MBPro 13" (which I have myself), vis-a-vis moving to a 2015 model.

At that point, you can decide whether you want a 2016 model, or a "current" model (at what will then be closeout pricing).

8. waynewayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi - thanks for the reply. I am not in a rush at all - just musing right now so would wait to see if anything came out of the announcements anyway.

Agreed that a fresh design would make it more compelling.