Mid-2010 MBP Trackpad - Unresponsive Clicks...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waynewayne, Jul 20, 2016.

1. waynewayne macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm still using my mid-2010 13" MBP but I've noticed my trackpad sometimes needs two clicks (or a firmer click) to actually register properly.

Is there a way to fix this? I've read about a battery issue causing problems and also a screw somewhere to adjust sensitivity - are either of these likely?

Thanks

2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

You could also change it to 'tap to click' so you don't have to physically push down on the trackpad.

You could open it up to check to see if the battery is swelling. You'll need a tri-wing screwdriver to remove the battery though. If there is any adjustment, it's under the battery.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The trackpad on my old mid 2009 MBP stopped registering clicks about a year ago. It was a fairly inexpensive part and an easy repair.

A swollen battery would typically prevent the trackpad from being clicked at all, and is usually accompanied by a "replace battery" message in the dropdown menu that shows up when you click on the battery.

4. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

Ive had that exact issue. Swollen battery, replaced it, and the topcase, dead easy indeed.

5. waynewayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I don't think it's the battery as I've had the case open (maybe 1 year ago) to change the RAM and install an SSD and nothing looked obviously wrong. It still clicks as well, just not registering a "light" click.

Is it a replaceable part? I could use the tap to click, but I hate that for some reason! Doesn't work with me unfortunately - I end up clicking everywhere!!