Mid-2010 MBP vs 15/16 rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by waynewayne, Jun 10, 2016.

1. waynewayne macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I've currently got a mid-2010 MBP which was base spec until last year. Now running 8gb RAM and SSD.

I find the performance fine for what I do (web design, app programming as a hobby, general browsing, playing movies, light photoshop work connected with web design)

I am having problems with the screen real estate. What I want to be able to do is have, say, a browser window open on one side of the screen with the editor on the other. I find my current resolution means this doesn't work too well with not enough workspace on either.

Additionally when designing for iPhone, the resolution means I have to zoom right out and even then scroll on my laptop. It would be nice to have the iPhone scale fully visible on screen at once for UI design.

This is my only computer. I use an external monitor occasionally (2560x1440 if I recall correctly) and only external devices are Bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

Would any of the rMB's fit the bill? Or do I need to look to rMBP's?

Many thanks

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The 12" rMB natively supports a scaled resolution equivalent to 1440 x 900, though there are apps that enable 1680x1050 (which may be too small on the 12" screen for many people). Compared to the 1280x800 on the 13" MBP, you might find this useful. The 13.3" rMBP supports the same scaled resolutions, but you might find 1680x1050 a bit easier because of the larger screen.

Either way, the performance would be better than a 2010 13" MBP.

3. waynewayne, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

waynewayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I'm looking st base spec rMBP's just now as a comparison - a 13" might offer that bit more real estate for the same cost. I'm hadn't realised the two were priced so closely.

Portability is not important, but I am drawn to the form of the rMB - probably as it's something different to what I've had for the past 6 years!