mid 2010 MBP with logic board / fan issues - Should I fix it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sanes02721, Mar 31, 2012.

1. sanes02721 macrumors newbie

Situation: My daughter spilled chocolate milk on my MBP A1278 mid 2010 - 2.4Ghz

I immediately shut the MBP off, opened it up, dried the inside (as best I could) & left it off until the next day. When I turned it back on, it seemed to be fine & was working normally (Sigh of RELIEF). HOWEVER...... (the bad news) after using it for about 1/2 hour I noticed my #1 & #2 keys were not working and every time I hit the <space bar> I would get 6 & (then a) space. I plugged in an external keyboard & that worked fine (the virtual keyboard also worked fine). Within the next 3 days, I noticed more & more of my # keys were being "eliminated"... next 3 & 4, then 5 - 7, and finally 9. (8 & 0 still work *for now*).

I brought it into the Genius Bar today & they told me the logic board was fried in a couple spots & there was an issue with the fan and was told they would have to send it away & it would cost $750 (+) to fix it. I would like to note that I bought this MBP at an AMAZING deal - under $750 (because it was an end of life floor model) so I just can't justify paying $750 to fix this one when a brand new one is $1,100. I was looking into a service on E-Bay where you send your laptop away (minus the hard drive) & they will (try to) fix it for $250 (if unsuccessful it's FREE). Has anyone on here done this? Has it been successful? Is it worth fixing my Pro? If I left it as is, how much do you think I could possibly sell it for (of course parts only and I would remove the hard drive).

Sorry so many questions but I'm trying to explore all my options.

Thank you in advance :)

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Since its the low end - $750 is to expensive in my opinion - if it was original 1800+ then maybe yes.

Sell it for parts and get a new MBP - you can get good deals from Authorized Seller currently on the 2011 MBP or wait for 2012.

3. jcrandall23 macrumors newbie

Another option would be to take it apart, clean up any liquid residue with 99% rubbing alcohol, replace the keyboard (around $40 on eBay), and see if that fixes the problem. The keyboard replacement is a pain, but not really that difficult.