Mid 2010 Mini - DIY?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by abshole765, Sep 6, 2014.

1. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Got a mid 2010 mac mini & its fan constantly runs and is loud af. Have the damn thing in a drawer so I don't have to listen to it.

Kinda want to build a new case for it so I can use some usb fans and have everything 'exposed'

any ideas of where i could look for an alternate case or something?

2. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

The only time I've heard a Mac Mini run with all fans on full is when it had a damaged/loose hard drive temperature sensor. My 2009 Mac Mini had this problem when the connector was damaged. I ordered a new one from ifixit, and all was better again.

Have you done any upgrades lately?

3. abshole765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The sensor that connects/is glued to the HDD came loose awhile back. I can't remember if I still have the wire, but I still want to change out the entire Minis casing, if possible.

4. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Why not simply fix it? The mini is one of the default choices for HTPC's. They are obviously not default noisy.

5. abshole765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because i want to do both.

And I already have a cheaper better htpc.

6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Man, I wish! If you find anything, definitely let me know!

I've always fantasized of doing a DIY case with a custom power supply so the thing could take a 3.5" hard drive for a ton of storage or even a much larger fusion drive.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You do realize that it will still be louder than hades even after you make the swap to a new case unless you fix the hard drive sensor right?

8. abshole765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jesus, way for everyone but one person to completely skip over what I was asking about.

9. abshole765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

If you are looking for Mac (mini)-ready housings, you're probably out of luck. AFAIK the mini is a highly proprietary machine in terms of dimension and mounting holes, that has been customized to this very housing by Apple.

The only option would be to go DIY with a housing you like. There are guides on the net about modding a mini e.g. into an old Cube housing, but that's as good as it gets.

11. gerasimos33 macrumors newbie

What htpc are you using? I need one and I am doing my research so any recommendation is appreciated

12. abshole765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been using a Rev B Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC. Zero issues playing remux blu-rays, 1080P, and even 3D content.