Mid 2010 Mini RAM and HD upgrades

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Got this mid 2010 Mini whose supposed destination is as a music server to play lossless through an external DAC and stereo system, it came with 4GB RAM and 320GB spinning drive, I upgraded to High Sierra (dunno if worth to upgrade or not, it might be worth for software compatibility but besides that I don't feel the urge to upgrade unless a newer OS uses less system resources) and it works fine, would ask those of you who went through it already if an upgrade to 8GB would be worth (which I suppose it is but can't find any 1066 DDR3 4GB modules on Corsair website, are 1333 compatible?) and how difficult to access the HD bay to remove the spinning and upgrade to a 500GB SSD.

Thanks for your suggestions

Giovanni

GalileoSeven

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2015
I upgraded to 8GB in my mid-2011 mini and got a noticeable speed increase. Though at the time, I was using it for normal everyday tasks. Now, as an HTPC (use it to stream/watch video), I'm not so sure the difference would be as acute. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I got my memory through Newegg.com

Can't speak to how easy/difficult it would be to access the HD though.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
1333mhz SO-DIMMs are compatible with a 2010 and will automatically down clock to 1066mhz when installed in that machine. I would try eBay for older RAM, as that will most likely be your cheapest option.

I've read that the 2010 machines are the same as far as ease of upgradeability goes as the coveted 2012 Minis... so swapping out the old HDD with an SSD should be simple.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Good to know, I just sent back two 8GB modules I had in my MBPro 2011, one of them was faulty, I could use one in the MBPro and one in the 2010 MacMini even tho am not pretty sure augmenting RAM would be so very beneficial.

Grazie