Mid 2010 Mini RAM question. Please help.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Fanner50, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Fanner50 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I'm a long time lurker who has learned many good thing on this forum, and I finally registered. For my first post I have a question.

I ordered my mid 2010 Mac Mini from Apple. At the time, 4GB of RAM was all that that Apple offered from the factory in the Mac Mini. Now, I see people talking about 8 and 16 GB of RAM in their 2010 Mac Mini's. My 2010 Mac Mini Really needs more RAM.
    Can I put 8/16 GB of RAM in it? If so, what kind, and where do I order it from?
    Will this work? Thanks for the help everyone.

2. COrocket macrumors 6502

Apple officially supports 8GB for your model, but you can install 16GB if you meet this criteria http://blog.macsales.com/16302-some-2010-mac-owners-can-get-more-ram-than-they-thought

If you click through on the article OWC will sell you RAM chips that will work with your mini. Also check out Crucial http://www.crucial.com/mac/ If you don't mind spending the extra money and intend on keeping your 2010 model for a while, 16GB will ensure that you have sufficient RAM for a while into the future.

3. scbond macrumors 6502

4. Fanner50 thread starter macrumors newbie

The spinning color wheel of death shows up on almost everything that I do on the Mini. 35,000 pictures in iPhoto slows the little beauty Way down. :)

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Look
    here then price @ retail finally decide where to buy ... but use Macsales for video install vids... if you haven't messed around with Macs e.g. ram install etc .. ;)

6. Fanner50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You COrocket. I went to the OWC website and found exactly what I need. Thank you very much for your time and advise. :apple:

Thanks iPhil too.

7. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

don't forget a small sad (64GB = cheap) as a second drive to boot from and run apps from will do wonders for your performance…

the mini will feel like a new box!