Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobbenos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Hi,
my MacBook Pro (Mid-2010) running OS X 10.11.5 crashes very often. Often, I am unable to turn it on afterwards, the computer giving three beeps and then five seconds of pause. I know those sounds signify a RAM issues, but in various forum threads I see that similar problems might persist also after changing RAM.

The description below seems very relevant.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5680376?searchText=mid-2010 three beeps

The logic board was replaced a year ago. Other than that, I have inserted an SSD drive a couple of years ago.

Today, the computer displayed the attached error message upon startup.
Has anyone got helpful suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 339

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi,
my MacBook Pro (Mid-2010) running OS X 10.11.5 crashes very often. Often, I am unable to turn it on afterwards, the computer giving three beeps and then five seconds of pause. I know those sounds signify a RAM issues, but in various forum threads I see that similar problems might persist also after changing RAM.

The description below seems very relevant.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5680376?searchText=mid-2010 three beeps

The logic board was replaced a year ago. Other than that, I have inserted an SSD drive a couple of years ago.

Today, the computer displayed the attached error message upon startup.
Has anyone got helpful suggestions?

1st line says it all. "Possible memory corruption ...".

Try opening it up and re-seating the memory.

tobbenos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
1st line says it all. "Possible memory corruption ...".

Try opening it up and re-seating the memory.
Thanks for a quick reply. I have now reseated the RAM and have not experienced crashes the first few minutes. Hope it was that easy, will report.

Reactions: jerryk

tobbenos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
The first few days after reseating the memory, everything seemed to work fine. However, now the computer has started crashing again.

Sometimes, the crashes are accompanied by the three beeps, other times not. Sometimes, it happens when trying to connect external devices, other times after computer sleep. Sometimes, there are horizontal lines and flickering on the screen, but most often not.

My question is, can all these problems be caused by memory alone? Or is something else, like the logic board (that got replaced a few years ago) more likely? I don't want to buy more memory and wait a week for it to arrive, only to find that something else was the root of the problems.

sohilpandya

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2013
London
The first few days after reseating the memory, everything seemed to work fine. However, now the computer has started crashing again.

Sometimes, the crashes are accompanied by the three beeps, other times not. Sometimes, it happens when trying to connect external devices, other times after computer sleep. Sometimes, there are horizontal lines and flickering on the screen, but most often not.

My question is, can all these problems be caused by memory alone? Or is something else, like the logic board (that got replaced a few years ago) more likely? I don't want to buy more memory and wait a week for it to arrive, only to find that something else was the root of the problems.

Hey, I have the 2010 15" Model and the same happened to me 6 months ago, I reseated the Memory Module, didn't buy new ones and then it started working again.

Then last week had the same 3 beeps got worried as the new macbooks aren't going to be released till September now, but I reseated the RAM and then it started working.

In my case I think the issue is me throwing (not literally) my MBP around, I'm taking care of when I put it on a table etc. and seems to be ok.

Try to clean the RAM and then put them back in. Hope it works out for you.

tobbenos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Then last week had the same 3 beeps got worried as the new macbooks aren't going to be released till September now, but I reseated the RAM and then it started working.
Thank you for the quick reply. Definitely worth a try.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016

Which model is this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.