Mid 2010 won't boot, hangs at apple logo with spinning gear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shadow4.2, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Shadow4.2 macrumors newbie

Hello, I received a 13" mid 2010 MacBook Pro in exchange for doing some work for somebody. I got the computer (with no HDD), power brick, and a few discs. The discs are: 15" Macbook OSX disc (they said it would work since it is for a MacBook of the same generation), Applications install Disc, and a Burned disc OSX 10.7 (they said it was made from an appstore download).

I had a 500GB Samsung drive out of another laptop, so I put that in the computer and tried booting Internet Recovery and it would hang at the loading screen (white screen with apple logo and spinning gear after the spinning globe and progress bar disappear), I waited for Hours and it just hung there (the gear stopped spinning after 5-10 min). So I tried the Burned OSX Disc, hangs at the same screen. I tried the Disc from the 15" it loaded then said that MAC OSX cannot be installed on this compter, but I was able to acces Disc utility and format the HDD.

I read online about Target disk mode and hooked the MacBook up to a Mac Mini and was able to install OSX 10.6.3 and upgrade to 10.6.8. It boots and works fine through target disk mode, but as soon as I try to boot the mac by itself, it hangs just like recovery. I then Tried Installing 10.7 through target disk mode, same story. In verbose it hangs after:
    Code:
    Running fsck on the boot volume...
    ** /dev/rdisk0s2 (NO WRITE)
    ** Root file system
        Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-540.1~25).
    hfs: Removed 2 orphaned / unlinked files and 0 directories
    BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory
    macx_swapon SUCCESS
    Waiting for DSMOS...
    Previous Shutdown Cause: 3
    I have tried repairing permissions and disk repair from the MBP 15" disc and it says the Disk is OK. I ran MEMTEST86+ overnight and it found nothing. I also tried a brand new 1TB WD drive and I talked to the previous owner who gave me the original 250GB Seagate drive (it was erased) and it didn't help. Can't safeboot, or boot recovery from internet, disc, or Recovery partition, I tried holding the D key for AHT but it continues to try to boot and hangs , I can Boot to single user mode but that is it.

I am not very familiar with Mac or any UNIX/linux enviroment so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    -Brad

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

i believe your mac mini same model year, you can do a super duper clone to the samsung hard drive via external enclosure.
    then insert the samsung drive to mbp, see how it works.

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

4. Shadow4.2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I update the firmware if I cannot boot into OSX? If so I cannot find instructions to do so. How would I go about installing it? I already Tried downloading the .dmg file, burning it to a CD but I cannot get the MacBook to Boot off the CD, it is not listed as a boot option, so must not be a bootable image. I was able to Boot to AHT with command + D but it just says "Apple Hardware test does not support this machine".

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

AHT is on the applications install disk. Command D startup with that disk installed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Have you tried NVRAM reset?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

I think it needs to boot up to do the firmware update. You might try booting from ext. drive or thumb drive then do firmware update. Thats about all I can come up. I'm certainly no expert. Good Luck.

6. Shadow4.2 thread starter macrumors newbie

ramram55: I checked and the Mac Mini is a mid 2010 model as well. I cloned the drive to the 250GB seagate, I then tried to boot the Macbook Pro from there 250GB as an external and it hangs at loading screen.

niteflyr: I got AHT to launch from the Mac Mini Applications Disc, The short and extended tests both passed.

The NVRAM/PRAM has been reset a dozen times throughout my troubleshooting but I reset it again just for good measure, still no help.

I will try a few more things in the morning.
    thanks
    -Brad

7. adamjackdrew macrumors newbie

8. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Did you successfully get 10.7 installed? If so this should have created a recovery partition. Option boot should let you select the recovery partition and go from there for the re-install.

9. Shadow4.2, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

Shadow4.2 thread starter macrumors newbie

With the macbook in target disk mode hooked up to the mini, I have successfully installed 10.7.3 and the min boots off it no problem at all. If I try to boot the MacBook with the primary partition, Recovery partition or any install CD (except for the 10.6.3 disc) it hangs at the loading screen. I tried resetting the SMC before each boot attempt. (When booting to the 10.6.3 disc it just says OSX cannot be installed on this compute

Last few lines of verbose output when attempting Recovery HD Boot:
    Code:
    Creating RRM Disk for /Volumes
    Initialized /dev/rdisk3 as a 512 KB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RAN Disk for /var/tmp
    Initialized /dev/rdisk4 as a 512 KB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RRM Disk for /var/run
    Initialized /devirdlsk5 as a 512 KB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RRM Disk for /System/Installatlon
    Initialized /devirdisk6 as a 512 KB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RAM Disk for /var/db
    Initialized /devirdisk7 as a 512 KB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RAM Disk for /var/folders
    Initialized /dev/rdiskEl as a 6 MB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RAM Disk for /var/root/Library
    Initialized /dev/rdtsk9 as a 2 MB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RAM Disk for /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays Initialized /dev/rdisk10 as a 1024 KB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RAM Disk for /Library/Preferences
    Initialized /dev/rdtsk11 as a 512 KB HFS Plus volume
    Creating RAM Disk for albrary/Preferences/SystemConfiguration Initialized /devirdisk12 as a 512 KB RFS Plus volume Creating RAM Disk for /Library/Keychains
    Initialized /dev/rdisk13 as a 1024 KB HFS Plus volume 
    using 64-bit bootcache playllst
    BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playllst: 2 No such file or directory
    Bug: launchctl.c:2406 (25182):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrldes_db_path, O_RDONLV I O_EXLOCK I O_CRERT, S_IRUSR I S_INUSR)) I= -1 (I0BluetoothHCIControlljnl: dtsk0s2: replay_journal: from: 28010496 to: 30121984 (joffset Oxe8e000)
    Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
    NVDRNV5OHRL loaded and registered.

Verbose output when trying to Boot normally:
    Code:
    etoothl1C1Controller::setConfigState1 cat I tng registerService 
    rootlng via boot-uuid from /chosen: 71E670110-684E-30113-61flE7-92620E2E0935 
    Waiting on <dint 10.10-><key>10ProviderClass</keyXstring ID.'1">10Resources</string><key>10ResourceMatch</key>s 
    Got boot devtce 10Service:/flppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCIBBO/HppleRCPIPCl/SOTROR/AppleMCPB9FINCl/PRION/10BNCIDevi 
    e/10BlockStorageOriver/SOINSUMG 1111-115131EMBB Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Ma 
    BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, mlnor 2 
    Kernel is 1P154 
    com.opple.launchd 1 com.apple.launchd 1 *** launchd[1] has started up. *** 
    com.apple.launchd 1 com.opple.launchd 1 **. Verbose boot, will log to /dev/console. *** 
    Running fsck on the boot volume... 
    ** /dov/rdtsk3s2 (NO VRITE) 
    ** ROO file systee Executing fsck_hfs (version dlokdmv cmds-540.1-25). 
    hfs: Removed 0 orphaned / unlinked files and 12 dlrectortes 
    BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playllst: 2 No such ftle or drectory 
    [IOBlunacx_swapon SUCCESS 
    Waiting for DSMOS... 
    Previous Shutdown Cause: 0 
    NVOHNV5011131 loaded and registered. 
    thanks
    -Brad

10. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Did a google search on "waiting for DSMOS..." (Don't Steal Mac OSx) then it dawned on me. Install disks are machine specific. You need to get the original disks from previous owner or buy a retail version (not upgrade version) somewhere probably from Apple. I would definitely talk to Apple about this issue.

11. Shadow4.2 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's kind of what I was thinking but Internet recovery hangs as well. However Internet Recovery doesn't hang at DSMOS, Here s the verbose for internet recovery (which is a pain to get by the way):
    Code:
    Initialized /dev/rdisk7 as a 6 MB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RAM Disk for /var/root/Library
    Initialized /dev/rdisk8 as a 2 MB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RAM Disk for /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays 
    Initialized /dev/rdisk9 as a 1024 KB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RRM Disk for /Library/Preferences
    Initialized /dev/rdisk10 as a 512 KB HFS Plus volume
    Creating RAM Disk for /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration 
    Initialized /dev/rdisk11 as a 512 KB HFS Plus volume 
    Creating RAM Disk for /Library/Keychains
    Initialized /dev/rdisk12 as a 1024 KB HFS Plus volume 
    using 64-bit bootcache playlist
    BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory 
    jnl: disk0s2: replay_journal: from: 32073728 to: 33918272 (joffset Oxe8e000)
    jnl: disk0s2: journal replay done.
    hfs: Removed 1 orphaned / unlinked files and 0 directories 
    Previous Shutdown Cause: 3
    [BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport][start] -- completed 
    NYDRStartup: Official
    I will take it to Microcenter on friday and see what they say, I would take it to the apple store but last time I was there, they were very rude, plus Microcenter is closer. Thanks
    -Brad

12. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Internet recovery probably has to do with the firmware update. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

13. bs-2010 macrumors member

This same thing happened to me about a month ago. I took mine to the Apple store and there was some hard drive bracket that needed replacing. It was about $50.

14. Shadow4.2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just talking to a friend that is a big Mac fan (I'm not) about this, he mentioned graphics card issues and every thing that fails to load has a GUI, (He told me to try Ubuntu live CD, and that hangs before the desktop finishes loading) plus didn't some Macbook pro's have epic GPU issues?
    thanks
    -Brad

15. niteflyr macrumors 6502a