Mid 2011, 11 inch power button issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacAttack25, Apr 13, 2018.

1. MacAttack25 macrumors newbie

Hey guys first post and new to macs in general, I recently pick up a mid 2011 mac book air base model 11inch 2gb ram 64gb ssd for a good price, but it has some issues and the seller showed me how to get the unit to boot up and run fine BUT I don't want to have to unhook the battery every time and use the charger just to get it to start "smc bypass" ?
    So here's the deal the power button doesn't respond when the unit is off but always responds to a force shutdown once its up and running and always responds to smc resets and any other type of power button related commands once it's running other than a regular shutdown sequence?

It's running HS fresh install from my self.
    Now the battery has what I've been told a high cycle count 817? And using coconut battery monitor I see i can only charge it to about 70% of its original capacity and I do see the service battery message. I don't know much about macs so I'm thinking battery or keyboard ? ANY help is much appreciated

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If this works normal with AC plugged, I'd say high probability battery.

3. MacAttack25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Once it's up and running it it's but it won't boot with either just the battery or the ac and battery connected only when I do a smc bypass does it boot up and run fine till I shut it back down then I have to start the process all over again to get it running .

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OK then, don't know enough to answer.

While waiting for an answer, may want to consider just putting the puppy to sleep, like a smart phone. I rarely reboot my laptop, only for troubleshooting purposes.

5. MacAttack25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any other hints or tips? I feel this isnt a common issue but I could really use some more knowledge here. Or is any more information needed from me.