Mid-2011 13" MBP and USB 3.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christeeezy, Dec 7, 2015.

1. christeeezy macrumors member

I have a mid-2011 13" MBP on OS X 10.11.1, often connected to a Thunderbolt Display. Couple questions:

I know with the 13" models, at least for my 2011 year, a maximum of one Thunderbolt Display is supported (can't daisy chain another TD). Is this true only for a second TD display and will the Thunderbolt port on the back of my display accept and work with a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 hub?

If it will work, I would like to use my USB 3.0 SSD enclosure with an adapter hub. The supplied enclosure cord does not have a separate male USB connector for power purposes; will the Thunderbolt port supply enough power through a hub to power the external drive?

Also, a quick search through Google didn't show any powered TB to USB 3.0 hub solutions. Has anyone had any luck finding one?

In case its relevant, the enclosure is an Inateck FEU3NS-1E, and the SSD is an old OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G.

Thanks!

2. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro and use the Kanex KTU10 Thunderbolt to USB 3, ESATA adapter. Its about 80 dollars and its been flawless the only downside is there is no Thunderbolt passthrough so it has to be at the end of your thunderbolt chain. As far as power goes SSDs require very little power compared to spinning disks so I don't think its going to be an issue.

Link
    http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-KTU10-T...?ie=UTF8&qid=1449537214&sr=8-1&keywords=KTU10