Mid-2011 21.5" iMac - Hard Drive is grinding?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Steve.P.JobsFan, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I purchased a 21.5" iMac on February 24th, 2012. It has the 1TB drive, which is a Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS 7200RPM drive. About 30 minutes ago, the iMac started to make a very, very loud "hum" and "grinding" sound, that if you put your fingers on the back of the case, you could feel a slight vibration. It's been on and off (mostly making noise vs. not making any), while idling. I ran the Apple Hardware Test, and checked the S.M.A.R.T status, it passed both. The grinding and humming is extremely loud.

Here are detailed specs of the drive...

[​IMG]

... and the iMac itself.

[​IMG]

I also went through the Express Lane, and setup an appointment with AppleCare. They'll call me at 2PM EST.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

William

EDIT: I was able to get a recording of the noise, using my iMac's microphone. I also recorded it with my iPhone. This is the best recording, which is from the iMac.

http://soundcloud.com/williamhummel/21-5-imac-hard-drive-noise

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sounds like the HDD to me, the AHT isn't always that accurate, and you have done the right thing calling Apple...It's a pretty new machine, and a replacement HDD is probably required. Make sure you back up everything before you take it in.

3. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I called but they were closed. I was expecting that, because it's 4:33 AM on the east coast. Anyways, I've definitely got things backed up. I just did a TM backup, and I have data backups going all the way back to February 25th. Now, I'm starting to get beach balls. This couldn't be worse timing. Ironically, I phoned Apple around 10 PM, and they're replacing my iPhone. So now I have no iPhone, nor an iMac. Wonderful.

----------

Also, it shipped with 4GB RAM stock, but I slapped in 8GB of Crucial RAM for a total of 12GB. I already know I should do this - hell, even Craig at the Ann Arbor, MI store told me to do so, but I should remove the Crucial RAM before I drive 80 miles to the Ann Arbor, MI Apple store for diagnostics and repair, correct?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No need at all, Apple even show you how to install RAM, it has no effect on your warranty...Leave it in for diagnostic purposes.

5. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I know how to install RAM, I installed the extra 8GB from Crucial myself. The Manager at the Apple Store said if I bring it to them with 3rd party hardware, they'd refuse to service it, and void my AppleCare.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That manager is talking garbage....:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1790011?start=0&tstart=0

I have sent back machines with 3rd party memory and never had any issues at all. I would report this guy, he either doesn't know his job, or is messing you around.

7. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Does anybody know how to boot up to the Apple Hardware Test on a Mid-2011 iMac? Holding the D key on startup does nothing.

8. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I spoke with AppleCare Technical Support - and I have an appointment for Tuesday at 4PM. Is there ANY other things I need to do before I go in for my appointment? The representative on the phone said he put it into their system that on arrival, they need to swap the HDD.