Mid 2011 21.5" Purple Line - Diagnostics

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spitfire411, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Spitfire411 macrumors member

Hi, I posted this on Apple Support Communities but thought I'd try here as well

A few weeks ago, a vertical purple line appeared on my mid-2011 21.5" iMac screen, one or two pixels wide from top to bottom.
    I do not have AppleCare.

I took it into Apple and they said it would be $450+ tax for a replacement LCD. Talking to another repair shop, they did not rule out the Graphics card being faulty.

I feel that paying for Apple to repair the LCD is too expensive at this point in the iMac's life.
    I have found a used screen for sale online for ~$150 and the iFixit guide does not make it look like a very hard repair.

I am wondering if there are some other diagnostics I can do before trying to repair the LCD screen to ensure it is not a graphics card/logic board issue.

If I hook it up to an external monitor, and it was a graphics card issue, would the purple line be visible on the external monitor as well?

If I AirPlay to my Apple TV, it isn't visible, but a computer tech said that AirPlay would use the Apple TV's graphics card to display the mirrored screen.

I also saw that if I take a screencapture, if it is a card issue, it will be visible in the screencap. If an LCD issue, it will not be visible on the screencap.

Any insight into this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Confusius macrumors regular

I had similar coloured lines in my 1st gen iPad - it was an LCD issue. You should e-mail your screenshot to someone to check for the line, or post it here.