Mid 2011 21.5" SSD question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MathijsDelva, Jul 3, 2012.

1. MathijsDelva macrumors regular

Hi everybody,

So, i've finally decided to put an SSD into my iMac. It's a mid 2010 21.5" model. I have of course many times read the all too known topic here on MacRumors about the SSD upgrade. But, since i'm really going to do this, i can't help but start one last topic about some last minute things that are popping up in my head.

1. For my model, the only way to add an SSD in addition to the existing 1TB HD, is to replace the SuperDrive with that SSD. Correct?

2. Where can i buy the 'best' and 'cheapest' (all relative of course) 3.5" enclosure to put my 2.5" SSD in? Worldwide shipping for good prices (i live in Belgium).

3. Is there something special i should know about the sata cables? Do i need one extra? Or is everything there? I guess everything will be inside already (since it was there for the SuperDrive).

4. Latest news about the temperature sensor? What the story behind this and can it be fixed + best way?

Thank you in advance for all your answers!

Cheers!

2. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

1)Yes.

2)You will need this to replace superdrive:
    http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?...roducts_id=260

3)No.

4)You will put the temperature sensor on the SSD and you would be ok.

Be very patient with the procedure so don't cut any lcd cable and don't scratch the lcd good luck.

3. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the help. Your link is shortened and thus doesn't work. Do you mean this: http://bit.ly/LXBfk3

Also, what do you mean exactly by the put the temperature sensor on the SSD. I thought there wasn't an external sensor?

4. richb330 macrumors newbie

Hi there. I did this myself a couple of months ago. i started with a base iMac 21.5" i5 with 500Gb HDD. The installation is fairly straight forward though you need to take your time. There is a special sata cable you need to get hold of to do it right. but to answer your questions;

1. No, you can easily mount the SSD behind the superdrive, I have three drives in my iMac, a 120Gb SSD, a 2TB HDD and the superdrive. aLthough you can put it in place of the superdrive if you wanted to, but this is unnecessary.

2. You don't need an enclosure. I used a length of velcro to stick the SSD to the chassis.

3. You do need a special sata cable. I got mine from ebay. be aware that the cable is different on the 21 & 27" models.

4. I used the temperature sensing software to regulate the fan www.hddfancontrol.com.

Check my web site out for details on how I did it.
    www.richstuff.co.uk

Also use the ifixit.com instructions on installing the SSD.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iMac-SSD/8905/1

hope it helps & good luck.

5. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Rich! Just to make sure: you are certain that the 2011 iMac and the 2010 iMac process are the same for installing an SSD? Also, why do you need the special cable + does it have to do with the temperature sensor? There is no way to get native fan control from inside the hardware other than using the HDDFanControl app?

6. chevalier433, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Dude read the post before you answer he had iMac with 2 sata ports firstly and secondly what is this stick the disk to chassis what are we grocers?Finally don't need to pay 30$ for a software he can shorten the temperature circuit but this is for replace HDD with SDD not for this his case to replace superdrive with a SSD.

----------

Yes this SSD bay i mean but you can find cheaper in eBay if you want i can sent you links.Your superdrive has an external temperature sensor you just change put him in your SSD.

7. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

8. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

9. richb330 macrumors newbie

I did, the title states mid 2011 21.5". all the links i provided are for the 2011, so if the title was a typo, op should come back with a query, which he did.

----------

Now I'm confused. you criticise attaching the SSD behind the superdrive yet suggest he modify the wiring of the temp sensor to save $30? besides, using the 'grocer' method (as detailed on the ifixit web site) allows both the ssd, the superdrive and either a second SSD or HDD in the Mac, which makes more sense to me...

10. chevalier433, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Dude you said you have iMac 21.5 2010 correct?If so your computer have 2 sata slots one for HDD and one for superdrive so to put an SSD you either remove HDD or superdrive.
    If you remove the HDD you will have fan problems so there three solutions buy this expensive 30$ software,shorten the internal temperature sensor or buy an older external temperature sensor from 2009 iMac.
    If you remove the superdrive you will need a SSD caddy not stick with tape the ssd in the case as i described as the grocer way and final step change position of superdrive external temperature sensor.

11. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, i realise i have gotten the thread title wrong! It most definitely is a mid 2010 iMac!