Mid 2011 27" iMac SSD replacement?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Feek, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Feek macrumors member

Feek

Apologies if this has been asked before, it's not a subject I've been able find an answer for.

I have a mid 2011 27" iMac which was shipped with the Apple supplied SSD and 2Tb mechanical HDD. I've already replaced the HDD with a 4Tb device and used the OWC temperature sensor. That's working perfectly well.

My question is related to the SSD and this is where info seems to be sparse. There are plenty of discussions about adding an SSD in the optical drive space or replacing the existing HDD but nothing I can find about the original SSD.

Can I just rip it out and replace it with an SSD with higher capacity? It's the 250Gb drive and I'd like to replace it with a much larger (and potentially faster) drive.

Does it need a temperature sensor addition? If so, where can I find one?

I would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks.

2. fusionid macrumors member

OWC and I believe you need a sensor for all aftermarket drives. Meaning special cable sold from OWC.

3. Feek thread starter macrumors member

Feek

Hmm, is that this one? I think that's the same sensor I used for the HDD replacement.

4. fusionid macrumors member

I believe thats the one and yes that's a ridiculous price. Perhaps there is a cheaper solution nowadays. Hope others chime in.

5. Feek thread starter macrumors member

Feek

You think that's ridiculous, I'm in the UK so buying it here is even more expensive. £44 from Amazon which is over $55.

6. fusionid macrumors member

honestly I wouldn't do it. You already have an SSD. We are talking about a 5 year old computer. If you have not experienced, it is likely you will experience video card issues soon.

7. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

No. You don't need to add the temp sensor cable to the SSD.

8. ilyasdesign37, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016

ilyasdesign37 macrumors member

ilyasdesign37

9. Feek thread starter macrumors member

Feek

ilyadesign37: Sorry but I don't think your issue is related.

I'm NOT replacing a mechanical HDD with an SSD. I already have an Apple SSD which is what I'm considering replacing. Two different situations. If you don't want a software fix then you do need a temperature sensor, that's already well documented and really isn't up for discussion in this thread. I don't want to be rude but please can we not confuse your problem with my question, they're unrelated.

My question is a grey area. I can find nothing definite on the internet to answer it and now I have two differing opinions in this thread. fusionid says I need a sensor, Dopeyman says I don't!