Mid 2011 27" iMac vs 2012/13 21.5 iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by troy14, Oct 28, 2014.

1. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

Looking for opinions on what you would do in my situation. I want to get my parents/family a new iMac, they are currently using an old '07 24" iMac (it was the top of the line I think 3.06 c2d) but the screen is going bad, the backlight sucks and there are shadow lines / yellowing all over. It looks awful!

I'm torn between getting them a mid 2011 27" iMac or a new thin 21.5 iMac (I think the 27" is out of my budget). They don't really do much, my mom likes to browse groupon and iPhoto, as well as view her home movies. They don't know how to work the computer that well.

I'm thinking the 27" screen would be nice and the 2011 would be plenty fast enough to run Yosemite and anything else they needed with the upgraded i5 processors, but the 21.5" screen might be easier to use since it's smaller, and the text will be larger. Also, it would be a bit quicker as well.

What do you think would be the best thing coming from a 24" monitor? I don't think they'd care either way, just curious what you would do.

2. Incog79 macrumors newbie

If your parents are comfortable using cloud services and/or an external cd/dvd drive, I would lean toward the 2012 model. I have a 2011 imac and while it runs Yosemite without any problems, there are a few features that are not supported, such as Handoff - of course if they are unlikely to use any of those features, this is a moot point.