Mid 2011 AMD 6970M replacement help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Herdfan, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

The video card on my mid-2011 has died. Unfortunately I was one of the first one to buy a mid-2011, so I have now had it for 4 years and 4 months and Apple only extended that warranty to 4 years. So I am 4 months too late.

As soon as it happened I removed the HDD and put it in a firewire enclosure and used it to boot my laptop. Works ok, just slower than normal.

I found a new card online and it was delivered yesterday. I went to install it and I can not figure out how to remove the old card. In all the pictures I have found online it looks like there are T10 screws holding in the card, but on my computer, the screws look like the they are just round circles and nothing will remove them.

I have not been able to find any walk throughs or tear-downs for doing this most likely because everyone else was able to get a free replacement and they are just now starting to get out of warranty.

So any help to remove the old card and install the new one would much appreciated.

2. monokitty macrumors regular

The GPU unscrews from the other side of the logic board - you need to remove the logic board to swap the video card.

3. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I would suggest you return that card that you purchased and get your money back...

Take your iMac to your nearest Apple Store and tell them your graphics card has died... They should replace it for free cause they have a recall program for that..

4. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

This. They'll most likely still honor the recall program.

5. pdafan macrumors member

Great advice esp Apple offers a replacement for free.

6. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

I had the same issue on my iMac, got its card replaced last year, the gpu caused flashing screens and making it unusable. Apple made a recall program for it (not technically a recall they have some other fancy word for it). You should be covered under the recall, unless Apple did in fact put a time limit on it (which seems illegal and poor taste since I assume amd sold them the replacement parts for free). So there are two possibilities for you:

1) You missed the recall period but your iMac is still faulty. In this case call apple, demand to speak to a technical support manager. They won't charge you for the service call if you demand to speak to a manager. Tell them you are a loyal apple customer and will get a pc workstation next time. Convey your irritation and say you won't use them again and demand a free repair since its their fault. Do not threaten legal action whatsoever, they will transfer you to their legal department which is a brick wall. They'll annotate the serial number for a free out of warranty repair, and u can go to the genius bar.

2) Because you opened up the machine they refuse to fix it. In which case still try calling a manager, don't tell them you opened it, because you'll still be marked for a repair whether u have a warranty or not. Seriously do not mention it.

Then just go get your computer fixed! Hope this helped.

Robbie