Mid 2011 iMac 27", new hard drive but sudden power downs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gingerbenn, Jul 9, 2014.

1. gingerbenn macrumors member

I swapped out a dead hard drive in a mid 2011 iMac 27", with a new seagate 1TB drive back at the start of the year. I also installed a fan control software to control the fan on the hard drive, which was all working fine.

But my client has come back to me after they have only just started using the iMac recently. Basically after a bad crash while importing gmail into apple mail, the iMac no longer boots into the desktop but seems to be stuck in some sort of startup cycle. Basically the imac chimes on startup and I get a progress wheel(normal loading graphic) and also a horizontal progress bar that slow progresses from left to right but then seems to look like the imac is about to go into the desktop as I get a mouse arrow. But the mouse arrow then disappears and the screen basically goes back to the apple logo and spining loading icon but never seems to get into the desktop.

So what I've done since, booted via external drive with system.
    Ran diskwarrior, reported it fixed drive.
    Reboot of repaired drive, still in some sort of bootup cycle with progress bar.
    Booted up via external drive again and started to backup problem imac drive using superduper just to be safe etc, halfway through backing up imac shuts down instantly. Tried this a few times and each time imac shut down with no warnings mid way through backup.
    Next thing I tried to do was update the current system on the problem drive with Mavericks, but at the end of the Mavericks progressing screen eg when its states computer will restart etc the imac freezes up and needs hard reboot.

I'm basically stumbed as to what to do next, I have now backedup most of the important files from the problem drive just by copying files manually instead of using superdupa.

Do I try formatting drive and try reinstalling a system, or is the hard drive poss defective?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Sounds like a bad drive. Can you check SMART on it?

You say that it runs fine with a different external though, right?

I also wonder about the system on the boot drive. Before yanking it you might try a bare bones system installation. If that fails, it's probably the disk. It might be some other hardware, but that seems kinda unlikely since you might not even get that far.

3. gingerbenn thread starter macrumors member

Am still struggling with this imac, i formatted the drive and now have really strange problem regarding getting a new system back on the drive.

The imac won't boot from a USB 10.9 installer I get the following error:
    [​IMG]

I also get a similar error message, when trying to boot from an external drive
    with a clean clone of 10.9.2 on.

It won't seem to bootup via my external drives with systems on now either.

Only thing that seems to boot is a DVD with a 10.8 installer, but the install never seems to finish off on the drive.

Can anyone give me any advice?
    Do you swap out the hard drive in the imac?
    I have a replacement drive, but unsure I'll be able to install on to it
    once I have installed the drive inside the imac.