Mid 2011 iMac beachball after HDD replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dodgie, Oct 8, 2014.

1. dodgie macrumors newbie

Hi,

My 27" mid-2011 iMac started to report I/O errors (with accompanying beachballs and general lockups) on its original 1TB HDD so I bought and fitted a 4TB WD Black HDD and performed a fresh install of Mavericks.

The problem is I'm now getting even more beachballs, it seems like every time I do anything HDD related, like open Finder or open an application I get a beachball for 10-20 seconds and then it resumes for a bit, and then again.

I've checked the disk and permissions in disk utility (from a normal boot and by booting from my Mavericks USB stick) and everything is ok.

I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do now. I can't use the Apple Hardware Test as booting holding down D just boots normally (I'm guessing as I have no recovery partition any more), and I've read that replaced drives fail this anyway.

What can I do?

Cheers

Rich

2. dodgie thread starter macrumors newbie

After more searching on this forum I'm, beginning to suspect I may have bought a lemon disk. Disk Utility reports SMART Verified but I'm going to give Scannerz a go and see if it picks anything up and then maybe just return the drive.

Interestingly I just did a straight swap for the existing factory fit 1 TB drive, didn't short out any connectors or anything else for the temperature issue and yet I haven't noticed any different fan activity than before, should my iMac be sounding like a Dyson right now? i can hear the disk accesses when I get the beachballs but no fan noise.

Is anyone currently running a WD 4TB Black in their 2011 iMac?

3. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

For some strange reason I couldn't get a 3TB to function correctly inside my iMac (mid'11 27" 3.4/i7). So I went down to a 2TB drive (just for data) and also installed a SSD to boot. What a major improvement!!! And yes, my fans started up and sounded like a Hoover. I didn't want to short anything out or install and 3rd party software so I purchased the temp sensor from OWC. No problems at all...