Mid 2011 iMac SSD Size Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ngaham, Jul 30, 2016.

1. ngaham macrumors regular

ngaham

I added an SSD to my Mid 2011 iMac a few years ago and it's running really low on storage. I have ordered a replacement drive for it, however i was wondering if I would have to remove the one I installed to make room? I am also concerned about the sticky tape I used to install it (the stuff that MacSales recommends). Has anyone done this and, if so, could you provide some pointers?

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

OWC sells complete kits for upgrading (except for the SSD), they have very clear video's how to do the operation.

It all depends how you installed the previous SSD. Did you replace the stock HD or the DVD drive, if so, than you can add another drive. If you just added a SSD between the stock HD and DVD then you don't have any Sata ports left on the motherboard and have to replace one of the three. You said sticky tape, so I think you probably did the last option, added a SSD Between the HD and DVD with double sided tape to the back of the case. See the different OWC kits and video's for your model for the how to and which kit you need to order.

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Get a dual drive kit and you can add a second solid state drive.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2429+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/7575