Mid 2011 iMac wifi Problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NoSmd, May 5, 2013.

1. NoSmd macrumors newbie

Recently ive been trying to find a solution for my imacs wifi disconnection. It randomly shuts off but it says it is connected but the only way to fix it is to turn the wifi on and back on again. I've been trying to find a solution to this for ages. I know it is not my routers problem because my xbox, Macbook pro, ipad 1/3, 2 iPhone never experiences this once. My i mac is currently running on mountain lion.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Besides turning it on and off what else have you attempted? Also are you sure it's not your router or modem, don't assume because other devices work it's not. Your modem and/or router could have out-of-date firmware ...just something to check before assuming it's the Mac. These issues can be tricky so you to be methodical and patient.

3. NoSmd thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure its not my router because many people have been experiencing this issue and my macbook pro seems to do fine with this router. What do you mean by other ways to attempt to fix the problem? I changed my ip multiple times for a different issue, i tried the ping thing where it is constantly doing ping on the terminal, Changed the dhcp to manual, and changed the wifi password type. The router is a netgear and is currently on its latest firmware.

4. NoSmd thread starter macrumors newbie

Any solutions? Keeps happening sometimes it works fine but then randomly it shuts off.

5. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Did you check connection speeds and transmit rate at your iMac? (holding down option key while clicking on wifi icon in toolbar)
    If RSSI is below -70dbm or transmit rate is in the single digits you have a signal strength problem.

There is also a free tool iStumbler to check WIFI network signals around you. Select a wifi channel which is not used by neighboring stations.

If that does not help you need to look at you iMac.