Mid-2011 iMac Won't Boot - VERTICAL LINES

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Copefree, May 15, 2017.

1. Copefree, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

Copefree macrumors member

My 27" mid-2011 iMac began restarting today, over and over and over. Repeatedly restarting. There are 5 or 6 vertical pink bars being displayed on the gray boot-screen.

What does this mean? Are the pink bars a symptom of "X" problem? What could it be?

All I've done to the computer is add more RAM like 3 years ago. I bought it new in May 2011 and it's been rock solid for 6 years.

Is this something I can fix on my own?

** UPDATE -- I baked the graphics card in the oven, reassembled the machine, and it now works again -- good as new **

2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

3. Copefree thread starter macrumors member

4. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

5. ryguy92000 macrumors member

ryguy92000

In the name of god do NOT buy from macpalace what ever you do. Ive never had the oven bake trick work. Replacing the cards with just about any other card will work, including the 21.5 inch card, the heat sync doesn't fit but you can easily transplant the card. Good luck! and yes it is the gfx card for sure.

6. Copefree thread starter macrumors member

I baked the card and am just waiting for my new monitor cable to be delivered by UPS -- I broke the cable while taking the screen out.

I'll know later today if the "oven trick" works.

7. Copefree thread starter macrumors member

IT WORKED! I reassembled it about an hour ago and all systems are running perfectly. She's back in business!

8. b06tmm macrumors regular

My 2011 iMac just developed this issue a couple of days ago and now will not boot.

I was able to recover my current emails by booting into target disk mode and everything else is backed up.

My question is has anyone recently gotten Apple to replace the Radeon HD 6970M card under TS5167? I have an appointment at the Apple store on Monday but will probably open it up, clean it out and maybe do a re-paste. It's been pretty much on 24/7 since I got it so I can't really complain.

If they say no, then I'll try to bake it.

Thanks!

9. Ejkjr macrumors newbie

This just happened to my 2011 iMac. I haven't tried anything yet and was hoping it would last until the new iMacs were released.

10. Ejkjr macrumors newbie

Well it looks like mine died. I am a little disappointed that it didn't last longer. it was not used a lot over the last 5-6 years.