Mid 2011 Macbook Air, fans going nuts. Why?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by ra4oasis, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

Every since I upgraded to Yosemite, every so often my fans will just go crazy, like I'm encoding video or something. But I'm not. I'm just streaming iTunes Match, web browsing, Microsoft Lync/Remote Desktop.

So what is the thing to look for that might be causing this. Activity Monitor? If so, do I look at the %CPU, or Threads, or something else?

2. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I have a brand new MB Air on Mavericks that does this. I have no idea why.

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Here is an old thread on the subject regarding Mavericks:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1743274&highlight=2011+fan+fix

This was a horrible bug that was not squashed by Apple until May or so, 7 months after Mavericks release.

At my end, I updated my mid-2011 MBA 13" to Yosemite about two hours ago, and so far the fan has not run yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

4. PlumMac macrumors newbie

This happened to me (with a mid-2011 MBA) around the time that I updated to Mavericks and the timing turned out to be a coincidence: two small pieces of paper (you know when you use a hole punch, the little circles that come out?) had gotten sucked up by the fan. I took it into the Genius Bar and it took them five minutes to open it up and remove the two little circles of paper. Just a thought if you can't find another cause...

5. nebrot macrumors regular

nebrot

2011 i7 Air here with no fan issues in 10.10 Yosemite. I was coming from Lion with a normal upgrade, but had a few small problems so I decided to do a clean install to get rid of all the stuff I never used anyways and I must say it runs smooth except for the known 10.10 bugs. UI is much faster and smoother than 10.7 Lion, I´m liking it so far.