Mid 2011 MBP 13'' Not Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cecek, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Cecek macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    today my MBP suddenly stopped charging. The charging status says "Not Charging", the little light on the charger is always green and when I click on the battery status it gives me "Condition: Replace Now" like this. Every time I start the computer, I get this message since the battery stopped charging. The computer dies the second I unplug the charger. When I press the button on the side of the laptop to check the battery level, all the lights flash five times. I have Mac OS X 10.6.8

Yesterday, the battery could last around 4 hours when fully charged, and I bought a new charger 3 months ago, so I don't think it's either of those.

I did a lot of googling, and I got to this fix. I'm not sure which one of the resetting procedures applies to my laptop, but I tried all of them to no benefit. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with trying to reset the SMC, because the last step in each of them is "press the power button to turn on the computer", but my MBP starts booting immediately after I plug the charger in, so that's what might be causing it. I have no idea how to prevent it from doing that, tho. I shut the computer down properly before doing it and everything...

Any help would be super appreciated. <3

2. Cecek thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE
    Ok. So now my fans seem to stop working :((( The computer has always been pretty loud and I noticed that it's not now suddenly. I lloked at istat nano, and under the fans tab, it just shows one, instead of like 3 that should be there. The one says "Exhaust" and it always says something around 2000rpm. Also, the whole computer seems to be a bit slower, I guess that ties to the fans problem. I did open the back of the computer to remove the battery to reset the SMC, so I'm really afraid I accidentally did something to the fans.

PLEASE, does anybody have some idea that could help me with either of those issues?

3. Apple Techs macrumors member

When you bought a new charger is it from apple or chinese knock off?

You probably did not do anything when you removed the battery and to reset smc on a 2011 macbook pro plug it in and press and hold option-shift-control and the power button for 10 sec but removing the battery should have resolved the issue

try verbose boot since the battery was working fine a while ago (shut down and restart as soon as you hear the chime press and hold command-v until you see some white writing on a black background)

the fans are a little concerning but you could take it to a local shop or genius bar and have them try a new battery

I am just assuming it needs a new battery but there is potential the power supply could have caused some issues if it was a chinese cheapo

4. Cecek thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an official charger from an apple store.

"try verbose boot since the battery was working fine a while ago (shut down and restart as soon as you hear the chime press and hold command-v until you see some white writing on a black background)"
    So, I did that and it said it found some errors. some of the message were "something, something 21 (should be 31)" and a couple other with different numbers. Aaaand then the computer wouldn't boot. It was stuck on the grey screen with the apple logo with a loading wheel spinning under it and a loading bar apeared under it, came to around 1/5 then appeared twice again the same and it shut itself down. That's what it did every time, so I had to reinstall the OS from a dvd...

The fans and battery still don't work. Any more ideas? :(