mid 2011 model - SSD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RolledUp20s, Jul 26, 2012.

1. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

this may seem a very silly question, but is the ssd slot an 'external' storage slot? i have the 120GB and to save space i store my music and movies on my external WD HDD which is plugged into my wifi router, it has readyshare built in and alows my mac to easily play those files over the wifi.

but..if i could buy an SSD card....do they just slot in flush or do they stick out like a USB stick?

im abit confused with these SSD cards because the info i'm finding for them are SSD 'replacement' cards...or swapping you HDD for a SSD etc.

so, can they just plug in nice and flush to increase my storage?

2. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Are you talking about an SD memory card slot?

3. simsaladimbamba

Look here for options and a guide on how to do it yourself. In short, the 2011 MBAs use flash storage on a small card, which you have to replace to get more storage.
    You can also use the ADVANCED SEARCH feature on MacRumors Forums to find dozens of threads about this OWC product and how easy it is to do yourself.

4. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

maybe..lol on the right side of the mac there is a thunderbolt, usb then a larger slot? is that SD then? ..whats that for?

5. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Yeah, that's an SD card slot. Typically used to load photos and things from digital media recorders, cameras and such. Theoretically, though, you could buy, say a 32GB SD card, and leave it in the slot and use it as extra storage just like your external drive.

6. simsaladimbamba

7. Davidkoh macrumors 65816