Mid-2011 model won't turn on (from sleep) without charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radomu, May 31, 2014.

1. radomu, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

radomu macrumors member

radomu

It seems like a common problem where some people's macbooks suddenly stop working without a charger. My mid-2011 15 inch model doesn't seem to turn on from sleep mode without a charger. The difference is that it continues working without the charger attached once it is able to turn itself on with the supporter of the charger, so I am assuming that the battery is not broken theoretically.

When it does boot up from sleep mode with the aid of a charger, the screen turns on as it was when I closed the computer screen with a blurred layer on it. Then a meter appears at the bottom and it takes around 20 seconds to fully boot up.

Is anywhere aware of this problem that I am having? I'd appreciate some help.

EDIT: This is the screen that I was talking about when I actually do connect my charger after it fails to bootup from sleep mode.

[​IMG]

2. radomu thread starter macrumors member

radomu

3. radomu thread starter macrumors member

radomu

This is the screen that I was talking about when I actually do connect my charger after it fails to bootup from sleep mode.

[​IMG]

4. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I have a 2012 MacBook pro that sort of does that. I have it hooked to the charger and connected to an external monitor. When it comes out of sleep the external monitor will show the apple screen with that bar. It'll stay that way but if I open the screen and close it, it'll go back to normal and let me login.

5. radomu thread starter macrumors member

radomu

Yeah so it doesn't seem to be the battery is broken..

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

7. radomu thread starter macrumors member

radomu

I doubt it, because in this specific case I require a charger to start up my mac.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Try looking here sleep/hobernate mode can be different it seems for battery or on charger, hence it may be relevant. That thread seems to refer to the progress bar you see too as being "safe sleep".

9. radomu thread starter macrumors member

radomu

Thanks for the info

I actually just found this link safe sleep

It seems that it's the result of Mountain Lion, which is weird because it's only started happening in the past few weeks. Is there a way to turn off safe sleep? I see these instructions online but I'm not sure what to trust at this point. I'm confused why this suddenly came into effect.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Follow the link I posted, the check works fine and it tells you the command to use, if you want more or a better source then Google is your friend.

Software can sometimes get messed up, that is why a reinstall works to straighten things out for certain issues. In this case trying the straightforward commands should work and you should probably try that first IMHO.

11. radomu thread starter macrumors member

radomu

thanks!

12. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I swapped out the original hard drive for an SSD and I haven't seen this behavior again. I haven't made any changes to the settings and this was a clean install of the OS. Maybe the drive that came with this computer was just too slow?