mid 2011 ram module help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ukemania1, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Ukemania1, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

Ukemania1 macrumors newbie

I don't know exactly whats up but my 27" 3.1ghz i5, did the 3 beeps, and I identified that the bottom left slot was the issue.
    It came with 2x 4g mods, one in bottom rt. and one in bottom left.
    When i took the left one out, its working on 4gb with the solo module in the right.

Ok, so i ordered a new 4g module from OWC, which came with 4 boxes (I'm not tech), unlike the originals with 8 little boxes on the module but it is a 4gb.

I put the new one in and it still beeps. So I took it out and put it in the right, solo. It worked.

I suspected there was something wrong with the left slot itself (?).
    I then put the original module that was in the left, in the upper slot above the one on the right. (it has 4 slots). Bingo. Running at 8gb RAM again.

I then put the new one in the top left slot this time, and 3 beeps.

From here I stopped, since I have my desired 8 gb RAM back.

What should i deduce from this ? thanks for any help.

2. Ukemania1 thread starter macrumors newbie

so to recap:
    I took out one 4g module from the left, leaving the other orig. 4g in the right.
    It works at 4g RAM.
    I added a new 4g OWC module in the left slot and got 3 beeps.
    I put the new one in the right, replacing the one that was working, just to see if it worked. It did.
    I removed that, convinced that both orig. chips were good, and put both originals in on the right; one on top of the other. It works. 8g again.

I put the new chip in the left top slot; 3 beeps.

?

3. macthefork macrumors 6502

The way you have it configured now will work, although the RAM is running in single channel mode. You likely won't notice the slight slowdown. Make sure there's no dust of dirt in the slots. Use a can of compressed air if you can, because excessive dust can cause these symptoms. That location is where the cooling air enters the 2011 iMac.

If that doesn't work, it could be your logic board may have failed. Although, it may run for a while the way it is. Did you try running both modules on the left side as a test? That probably won't work, though.

Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test? Try this:

1. Shut machne down.
    2. Press and hold OPTION and "D".
    3. Press power - keep holding Option+D

Wait for the program to download, and run it.

4. Ukemania1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, just did that one and test showed no problems.

Not that I need more RAM (with 8g still), apparently the left side of the RAM modules are out.
    It started when it wouldn't boot up.
    So I just took one of the 4g chips and moved it to the top slot on the right.

If I put a chip in any of the 2 on the left it won't boot.

I asked a tech about this and he never heard of it before. Hopefully the logic board is not going bad because I was told thats the "whole encilada" pretty much.

5. macthefork macrumors 6502

Have you verified that there's absolutely no dust in or around the RAM connector slots? That's very common in this area, and can cause your exact symptoms.

6. Ukemania1 thread starter macrumors newbie

we looked inside (there was dust clustered outside the cover screen and around the edges of the slots) and it looked pretty clean.

So the next thing is to blow some canned air in there...