Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
What did you do with your 5,1? Mine is in a box collecting dust. One of the problems with the 5,1 (and the 7,1) is there is no one for me to hand it down to. It's too much for the average grandma to deal with, and it would end up an IT project for me to constantly have to go and help maintain it (and I need another project like the Sahara needs more sand).

So oddly, if Apple actually makes a good slot based Mac Pro to replace the 7,1, I'll probably just box up the 7,1 too. I might sell it if I can still get a good price for it, but the odd need to run something very intel based might have me keeping it. Of course, if apple makes a new Mac Pro without slots or with slots but no graphics card options (I need something that can drive my 8k screen), then I hold on to the 7,1 for dear life as long as I can.
I put it aside for the moment. Next step was to try putting the original 2.4ghz processors in it and see if it starts with those (eliminate CPU issue). It is otherwise pristine and looks brand new, no scratches or marks.

Before the glitch it was running very reliably in Big Sur then Monterey.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.