mid 2012 13" i7 upgrade to mid 2012 15" i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sir.riel, May 20, 2015.

1. sir.riel macrumors member

i would like some feedback from you fellow Mac guys. I have the opportunity to upgrade my mid-2012 13" i7 2.9ghz to a mid-2012 15" i7 2.6ghz.

I can trade mine in for the 15" with $300USD on top. What would you guys do if you were in my position? I use my laptop for work and personal, so it's constantly being moved. I am a Film producer so I use my laptop for basic documents, spreadsheets, emails, internet research, with occasional, Design, Video Editing and SFX (Adobe Premiere & After Effects, I also use Logic Pro X to create music.

the 15" has 100 cycles on the battery and the exterior is near perfect minus slight scratches.

Is this a good deal? upgrade worth it? Just want to be sure i am not getting ripped off.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It seems like a fair deal to me, the improved graphics and quad core processor will make your video editing and SFX run much faster. I truly can't believe a Film producer hasn't gone retina yet though....

3. sir.riel thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks, i figured the same. i thought about the Retinas but I really dislike the fact that you can't upgrade them and I don't really want to spend much on the highest model. I have 16gb and a SSD that'll be ready to put into the 15". I do pick up items if needed to help my team, we have a studio with systems, so i'm not editing and doing vfx all the time.

Also I have the Apple Thunderbolt 27" Display that i use at the office.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you have never felt that your computer is too slow for your needs, then size is the biggest consideration. You will def notice the extra size and weight, on the other hand, the 15 gives you more screen real estate.

See if the person will let you swap for a week to see how you feel.