Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro Restarting Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rbav, May 28, 2015.

1. rbav macrumors newbie

1. Had some water damage on my mid 2012 13" macbook pro(out of warranty and I don't have the money to pay apple to fix it, so unfortunately that is not an option).

2. I took it apart, allowed it to dry, removed the logic board, and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush in a static safe environment.

3. After letting it dry overnight I booted it up and it worked like a dream for about 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, a dialog box appeared that said "Are you sure you want to shut down." This button reappeared frequently, until it did shut down

4. After letting it sit for 45 minutes, it will work for 15 minutes and then the same dialog box will appear and it will shut down.

5. I thought it could be a keyboard/power button issue, I unplugged the keyboard ribbon and booted it using the power pads, however, the problem persists.

6. It WILL run an apple hardware test and it returns everything normal.

7. It will boot up with everything connected to the motherboard, but the HDD.

8. It will boot to disk utility, however, if I try to verify permissions, it shuts down.

So my question is what is going on? Is there damage to some part of the logic board that deals with the HDD?

Sorry for the book, but I wanted to include as much information as humanly possible. Any help you could give, even if it is purely academic, would be awesome.

2. Jozone macrumors 6502

Sadly at this point you have some damaged traces on the board - even with the keyboard flex cable disconnected, it thinks (after warm up) that the power button is being pressed.

Its possible at this point that your HDD flex cable has gone bad as well, but at this point its somewhat irrelevant until you get the MLB replaced/fixed.

I don't have any personal experience with these companies, but there are stores on eBay that will do component level repair on boards, and can repair traces that are otherwise invisible to the eye. Probably going to be your best shot.