Mid 2012 13" MBP - Time off by minutes if continuously left on

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have a 2012 13" MBP that I leave on almost aways. I notice the longer its left on, the more the time gets out of sync. It's only off by a few minutes but is annoying.

Opening the Date & Time Preferences easy fixes the issue and it syncs back up without any help from me but why is this happening? Any way to fix it?

I have the checkmark in Set date and time automatically to "Apple Americas/U.S. (time.apple.com).". Not really sure why the . is after the .com but it is for all the options in the drop down location.

My Mac Mini which I leave on 24/7/365 as a server has zero issues keeping time.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
That's an odd one, maybe... Restart? Turn off the syncing, set the clock to something completely different than turn the syncing back on?

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
A reboot does sync the correct time but then in a few days it's out of sync again. Sorry should've noted that.

----------

That's an odd one, maybe... Restart? Turn off the syncing, set the clock to something completely different than turn the syncing back on?
I just turned off the sync and set the time hours ahead, then turned sync back on. I guess time will tell what happens.

Only other thing I thought of was to schedule a weekly or nightly reboot but, shouldn't have to do that. It Apple and should just work. LOL

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Still not syncing. Even tried deleting the "local time" file under ETC folder and reset the time as another site suggested but no luck. :confused: