Mid 2012 13" mbp vs. 2016 15" mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kckrawford, Nov 7, 2016.

1. kckrawford macrumors newbie

I'm looking to upgrade to a newer mbp and over the past 2 years, my use of my mac has changed from just general surfing / emailing / ms office use to doing lots of video editing from the go pro. I've got 2 kids that play baseball year around and i have been recording all of their games with the go pro and have to convert and edit all the film to cut out the between innings, etc.

What i am wondering, is how much faster (in general) would the new Macbook Pro 15" model (2.6 i7 / 512gb HD, 16 gb ram, radeon 460) than my current setup. Mid 2012 13" model w/ (2.9 i7 - 3520m - 16gb ram / 960gb san disk extreme pro) . I currently have about 2 TB of games that I have done, and while the current setup it does get the job done, it is about time for an upgrade.

I have considered getting a 2015 model as well, but just curious about the 16 model at the moment.

I realize that the quad core is going to be a huge improvement, but i'm just not sure how much faster in terms of speed that the newer pro's can get the conversion done at. It takes my current setup awhile to convert the games (on average about 8gigs per game) so i'm looking for soemthing to speed up the process.

2. monkeydax macrumors 6502

You'll see the rendering times improve significantly mainly because of the quad core i7 chip in any 15", so even the 2015 model would do great for you. The rest of the price premium will be just whether you'd like to be on the newest cycle and all the features (and lack of ports) that come with it (screen, better battery life, graphics card, larger trackpad...and so on.) You're not that likely to see a huge performance upgrade between a 2015 and 2016 model!