Mid 2012 15" MBP, regular kernel panics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheShortTimer, Mar 27, 2017.

1. TheShortTimer macrumors newbie

TheShortTimer

Hi there!

Over the past few months, my 10.9.5 15" MBP (purchased in late 2013) has begun suffering regular kernel panics, to the point that I can no longer regard it as reliable for serious work and I've had to switch over to using my older Mac's instead. The kernel panics occur during a wide variety of situations, from browsing YouTube to even sleep mode, so I'm unable to pinpoint an exact trigger for the problem.

I've included the latest report diagnostic report as I'm well out of my depth when dealing with issues such as this. Can anyone shed some light on what is causing this and potential remedies, please? I appreciate any pointers or advice you can send my way.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Is FUSE always at the top of the top of the list of loaded kext when you check the diagnostic? If so, that may be where your problem lies. You might want to check at GitHub about about that and how to deal with it.

3. TheShortTimer thread starter macrumors newbie

TheShortTimer

Thanks for replying, I managed to find the DiagnosticsReports folder and I've included the only other report below. FUSE is at the top of the loaded kext list. You think this is the likely culprit?

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Well, if it's software, the non-Apple processes are the most likely suspects, and I've heard of FUSE causing trouble. You have a couple others too, from Soundflower and Blackberry, but they're more commonly used, or used to be, I think. Any of the associated products coincide with the timing of your problems?

Another common thing would relate to too little RAM, but since it happens even during sleep, you'd think it wasn't too little RAM. Looks like you have 4 GB. Have you been seeing slowing or other hiccups with heavy use?

You can run the hardware test to check if the RAM is defective, though it's not a foolproof test. Or take it to an Apple Store for more exhaustive hardware tests, free.

5. TheShortTimer thread starter macrumors newbie

TheShortTimer

Just to update the thread and provide information that might be helpful for others in a similar situation, I upgraded from the stock 500GB drive to a larger HDD (3TB) but instead of transferring everything over with Migration Assistant, CCC or Super Duper, I started from scratch with a new Mavericks installation.

Then, I re-installed my programs and so far, there have been no reoccurrences. Actually, the computer works much better now than when it was originally shipped. It seems that whatever was causing the problem has been thankfully left behind on the old Mavericks installation. :)