Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RGT70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I didn't notice such problem until recently I played games on it. I think it might related with the delicate GPU since I never saw it without gaming. I played diablo3 on it and the screen just keeps flickering in the several seconds after I switch to desktop or switch back to game. Sometimes flickering even happens while I'm gaming (occasionally). Wonder if anyone have the same problem? if it is software related (D3)? since I never tried other games which can push the delicate GPU up on it.
Thanks.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
There's another thread out here about this. Their's flickers when they were switching modes in system prefs. Mine (also a 2012) has no problems with flickering.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
You mean flickering like this, right?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwGkdOV37qg

It's the WiFi.

It seems to happen to a greater or lesser extent on a per-machine basis. Consensus seems to be that it's a shielding issue...the WiFi antennas are in the display bezel and somehow when the WiFi is in use it is screwing with the video signal (probably as it comes over the ribbon cable from the logic board).

Mine also does this, but it's nowhere near as bad as the guy's in the video. In my case, I actually have to be moving a significant amount of data before it happens (watch a streaming video or do software updates or something), and even then it only happens once every once in a while, usually right after the download starts, and then it settles back down.

If I turn the WiFi off and plug my Apple Ethernet adapter in, problem goes away.

I've heard tell that some people got their screens replaced and it solved the issue for them. I've also heard that it only seem to happen to some people when using a specific WiFi channel...some people have changed the channel on their router and the problem went away. (Of course, this doesn't prevent the problem from coming back if you are using your computer outside of your house on somebody else's network.) And other people have said that when they got a dual-band WiFi router capable of 5GHz, as long as their rMBP was on the 5GHz network, the problem went away.

-- Nathan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.