Mid-2012 Air as second laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ARK, Nov 14, 2015.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

I bought a mid-2012 MacBook Air in good cosmetic condition at my work for $419. Its a 13" 2.0Ghz 8GB 256GB SSD. I was going to give it to my mom but I get the feeling she doesn't want to learn a new computer after recently retiring. I really like it but don't need a second laptop since I already have a late 2013 15" Retina Pro. My pro has Creative Cloud apps on it as Im a graphic designer. Those of you with 2 laptops, what do you use the lower end Air model for? Im trying to justify it in my mind. lol Is there any problems I should be on the look out for as well with this particular model - 5,2? (Apparently it says Service Battery so there is that.)

2. Woodstockie macrumors member

Woodstockie

Over the summer I bought a second laptop (13" 2010 MBA) as my work laptop is the old and heavy non-retina 2012 15" MBP and didn't want to haul it around so much. I carry the MBA all the time with me in my messenger bag and use it for email, browsing, excel, word and other work related things. At home I keep my 15" laptop if I need a bigger screen or more power.

Spending $420 is of course a lot of money on something you maybe don't need, but in my case my shoulder and back definitely appreciate not carrying a couple pounds extra when I bike or travel. For me worth buying the MBA and having a second laptop.

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

You now can leave the rMBP in the office and use the Air at home for browsing, reading, watching the occasional movie, etc. That's what I do.

4. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I've gotta ask, did your mom say she didn't want to learn a new computer, or are you just assuming that? If she was somewhat computer literate before retirement, she won't get a case of the stupids when someone isn't paying her to tap on a keyboard.

Within four days of my retirement I had my first Mac, an 11" MBA. There was a small learning curve because some things are different from Windows, but it's not a deal breaker.

Whether she just needs a computer for mail and browsing, or she's interested in app development (ummm… like me), a good basic Mac will serve her well. I say, hook her up and give her an chance to soar.