Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holiday786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Hi I wanted to ask what have you done to your MacBook Pro classic edition. I still have mine and it’s currently completed 200 cycles. I was thinking of upgrading the hard drive to ssd and adding 16gb of ram from crucial. Can anyone recommend this or a better manufacturer.

here is my setup:
2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM -2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
I have the matte hi-res display on mine with 16gb ram and 2x240gb crucial ssd's in a raid 0. I am running Mojave. Having a little trouble with random sleep and shutdowns on it though. Around once every hour or two it will either go to sleep or just shut off. On the log it seems to be cpu kext related.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Hi I wanted to ask what have you done to your MacBook Pro classic edition. I still have mine and it’s currently completed 200 cycles. I was thinking of upgrading the hard drive to ssd and adding 16gb of ram from crucial. Can anyone recommend this or a better manufacturer.

here is my setup:
2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM -2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

You are still using a spinner? Defiantly get a SSD. I had a SSD installed in my Mid 2012 about a year ago and its made a world of difference.

puggles

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Get an SSD....that's it. My 2012 scored higher in cinebench than my 2015 retina. Still a great laptop if you can deal with the thickness.

Alexis Noel

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Houston
SSD on your main SATA, remove optical drive and use the 1TB HDD you already have there for storage and SSD for booting and read/write of your main things, or double ssd in RAID 0 configurations.

16GB RAM is good. I got mine from Corsair on Amazon. Crucial is a reputable brand. (I have Crucial RAM on my Mac Pro Late 2013)

While you're taking the optical drive out, just take out the logic board itself and remove the old thermal paste from your heatsink and cpu and reapply some fresh one. Clean the inside of any dust, especially your fan.

You can also change the display to the matte hi-res display.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
What do you do with your Mac?

I upgraded my Late 2011 17" MBP with a SSD and maxed the RAM. I used the Samsung 860 Evo for the SSD, can't remember the RAM brand.

The Machine is very nice, and is used everyday. The battery needs to be replaced, but I run it as a desk top 90% of the time, so I probably won't be fixing that.

I am amazed with how well these older machines hold up. With the i7, it is still really fast.

My primary Mac is a Late 2012 iMac that has also held up really well. I figured I would have needed to replace my Macs by now with something new, but they are still really fast and in good shape, I probably will not need a new Mac anytime soon.

holiday786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Hi I was thinking as there is a new OSX available this year will the 2012 version work with this MacBook or will it be the end of the updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.