Mid 2012 i7 MBP running slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M3Stang, Oct 26, 2015.

1. M3Stang macrumors newbie

Hey guys my MBP is still running really slow after replacing the hard drive. This new disk utility is no help at diagnosing issues either. The computer takes forever to launch applications and the most annoying part is waking it up either from when the battery was dead and I plugged it in or waking it up after its been charging for a while. Once I hear the disc drive seek or whatever I know I'm in for a long wait. Once it finally does get to the login screen there will be no response from the keyboard or mouse for about 3 minutes and it will then go to sleep and i have to press the power button to wake it back up and wait a few more minutes for the trackpad to respond an the keyboard. Or sometimes like today, it never responds after 10 minutes and forces me to shut it down by holding the power button. I then have to wait forever for it to reboot. Anyone know whats up? I'm thinking of just doing a clean install. Back when I replaced the hard drive I restored from a time machine backup so effectively, I have been running the same installation of the OS since this computer was brand new in July of 2012 running OS X Lion. Maybe a refresh would work? But then that brings me to my other thing. Even Windows 10 runs sluggish on this machine using boot camp so I'm wondering if its somehow still hard drive related. I even upgraded the RAM to 16GB and no change in performance. Please offer some suggestions. Since I have replaced the hard drive its been about 8 months. The original reason was for it being really slow and failing verification. Here are pictures of whats going on. Thanks guys! Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 12.30.35 PM copy.jpg Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 12.26.39 PM.png

2. M3Stang thread starter macrumors newbie

So as an update I just installed an SSD with a clean install of el capitan and this thing is amazingly fast now.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I was going to suggest the SATA cable, but I'm glad the SSD took care of the problem for you.

4. M3Stang thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah while I only have an 1/8th of the space as before at least its fast.