Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Initially, this new cMBP would stay cool.. However, lately [ past 3-4 days ] it's been heating up a lot running simple tasks. The only processes running are Outlook, and Firefox with about 6-7 tabs open at any time.

I have Gfx set to ' integrated only '

I've been monitoring the temps with iStatPro and have attached a couple of images [ one in C and one in F ]

I can't work with this computer on my lap without making it very uncomfortable...:(

I'd like to know if this is normal or if I should exchange it.. Have had it for about a week now.

Thanks!

Attachments

• iStatC.jpg
    iStatC.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 364
  • istatF.jpg
    istatF.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 256

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Looks normal to me. CPU 58 C degree. And the fan about 2,500 rpm. Is normal operating temp. Specially around this time of year...Summer time unless you are living in a place which is winter around this time of year. I guess North Pole or Australia?

RVspidey

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
you gotta be kidding.. this is great temps for a mac..

seriously, i doubt you can find a laptop thats not hot when sitting on your lap for several hours..

don't worry..

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Ok cool.. I was just concerned about it damaging any components due to this heat..

But there's no way I can use it on my lap for more than 30-45 minutes without starting to roast my thighs! :p

Also, just curious since this is my first 15" [ had a 13 MBP prior ], it's mostly the left bottom of the computer that gets hot, the right side is comparatively cooler.. Is that how it's designed to be ?

Thanks again all !!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But there's no way I can use it on my lap for more than 30-45 minutes without starting to roast my thighs! :p

Also, just curious since this is my first 15" [ had a 13 MBP prior ], it's mostly the left bottom of the computer that gets hot, the right side is comparatively cooler.. Is that how it's designed to be ?
Yes.

Apple Portables: Operating temperature
The bottom of your Apple portable may become warm during normal use. If the computer is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, remove it from your lap and place it on a stable surface.

AlexBass

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Ok cool.. I was just concerned about it damaging any components due to this heat..

Thanks again all !!

If you think this really is becoming unbearable and something you want to change, try changing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU to Arctic Silver 5 - http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-Thermal-Compound-ArctiClean/dp/B001FVI91U/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

If you consider this, her is a tutorial for it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlMxoHK0Os4

KiwiMigs

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
I've got a brand new MBP. Its doing very little sitting here on my desk other that seeding a few linux distros, so nothing serious. Most of the time the screen is powered down.

Some times of the day totally cold. Other points, hotter than a toasted bagel.

I noticed there was an update yesterday to the firmware to do with power/energy stuff, but didn't pay much attention. Didn't make much difference. Maybe it's the WIFI :p

Makes for a very hot keyboard. Not much different to my 4 year old MPB to be honest.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I'm keeping an eye on my new [ replaced ] MBP ... So far, the CPU temps hover around 35 C and GPU around 40 C ... This is with spotify running in the background, VM Fusion, MSN Messenger, FF with around 8-10 tabs open, and outlook.. Brightness at 75% [ have the HR + AG cMBP ], keyboard backlight at 50% and caffeine keeping the laptop from sleeping!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm keeping an eye on my new [ replaced ] MBP ... So far, the CPU temps hover around 35 C and GPU around 40 C ... This is with spotify running in the background, VM Fusion, MSN Messenger, FF with around 8-10 tabs open, and outlook.. Brightness at 75% [ have the HR + AG cMBP ], keyboard backlight at 50% and caffeine keeping the laptop from sleeping!
Those temps are completely normal. There is a wide range of temps that can be considered normal, based on system configuration and settings and current workload on the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.