Mid 2012 - Keyboard Quality Regression?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cjoy, Sep 10, 2013.

1. cjoy macrumors member

I just received a new cMBP 15" with the matte highres display.
    The screen is not seated perfectly horizontal - it sits slightly higher on the left (about .5mm). Thats not amazing, but not a big issue.
    The real bummer for me as someone who types many lines of code a day, is the keyboad. Next to a mid-2008 model, the keyboard looks and feels like it is a cheap immitation.

The keys are not as solid and when pressed, have no defined pressure point.
    On the 2008 model, the keys feel snappy and push right back into position after a key press. The 2012 keyboard feels like pudding - there is no clear feedback for wether a key is pressed or depressed - almost feels like you have to pull the key back up.

Has anyone else made this observation?
    I know that of the many external aluminum keyboards I bought over time, every single one had a slightly different feel to it, but this MBP keyboard is not a slight difference compared to the old model - it is worlds apart.

Has anyone else made this observation?
    Is this normal? I hope not - it is just so much worse.

Now I'll have to travel to a local apple store and compare other specimen of the MBP family.

Not a happy apple customer here :(

2. cjoy thread starter macrumors member

adding to the keyboard frustration... I see the CPU temp at idle hovers around 88°C .. at IDLE. Compare that to 50°C on the old MBP.

Seriously Apple WTF?