Mid-2012 MacBook Air Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bpopilek, Nov 13, 2013.

1. bpopilek macrumors newbie

Hello all! I have a general question about possibly upgrading my Mid-2012 MacBook Air A1465. While I love using this daily, I was hoping there might be a way up upgrading the logic board to a faster CPU and more memory. I have already replaced the stock 128gb SSD with a 256gb one, and I realize in its current state, there isn't much more I can do. Right now it has the Intel Core i5 processor and 4gb of ram. What I want to know is if it is possible to swap the logic board for one that has a Core i7 processor with 8gb of ram? If so, what model would I be looking for? I do some home movie editing, and while it works ok right now, I think the upgrade would help me out quite a bit. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

2. macgeek88 Suspended

Hello, bpopilek!

Unfortunately it really isn't practical to change a logic board in a MBA for another one in terms of upgrading. The logic board is one of the most costly parts in an Apple product, especially laptop. That said, if you are still interested, you could try just keeping an eye online. As long as it is a mid-2012 logic board for the right size MBA ('11 vs '13) you should be ok.