Mid 2012 Macbook Pro dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wolrabn, Mar 16, 2017.

1. wolrabn macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro mid 2012 that is a little poorly...

Macbook powers up with blank screen with no chime sound. Solid light on front and fans/HDD spin. Apple logo on lid does not light.

No key functions appear to respond including PRAM reset.
    SMC has been reset which did not resolve (battery was removed for at least 15 mins)

I have tried booting without HDD/ Optical drive / Airport/bluetooth cables all disconnected with same results.

CAPLOCKS key does not light.

RAM removed results in beeps. USB sockets will charge phone.

I assume this to be a hardware issue somewhere but given beeps heard when RAM removed and USB ports are working I assume Logic Board working correctly? Any suggestions as to what this could be?

thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Oh boy, you've been pretty unlucky with your Macs recently. :(

I know I've made the same suggestion on your other thread, but what happens when running through an external monitor?

3. wolrabn thread starter macrumors newbie

ha! thanks for the help! and yes... a little unlucky!

Unfortunately I haven't got an output adapter for this one to test and the adapter for the imac I have doesn't fit this one (cheers Apple)

4. wolrabn thread starter macrumors newbie

update on this one. looks like some corrosion on / near the display out socket of the logic board and thermal paste looks pretty bad... going to do some logic board cleaning and apply some new paste. its a cheap attempt at repairing if this fails i will assume bad internal GPU and new logic board required.